Making Democracy Work for Everyone
American democracy is always a work in progress. Our nation was founded on the dream of a system of government that truly represented the will of the people. However, who those people were, and how loudly they spoke, has been contested—often bitterly. Today, more than 200 years after our country’s founding, Americans are still fighting—in the streets, in the courts, and in legislatures—to expand the franchise and achieve a more perfect electorate.
Project Vote is a national, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization founded on the belief that an organized, diverse electorate is the key to a better America. Project Vote’s mission is to build an electorate that accurately represents the diversity of this nation’s citizenry, and to ensure that every eligible citizen can register, vote, and cast a ballot that counts.
In recent years, Project Vote has mostly focused on improving voter registration. Our goals are to:
• eliminate disparities in registration rates between minorities and majorities;
• see state governments play a leading role in registering Americans to vote; and,
• ensure that constituency-based organizations can run effective voter registration drives.
• promote voter registration laws, rules, and procedures that facilitate, rather than impede, voter registration;
• ensure that list maintenance procedures do not remove eligible voters; and,
• advance innovative solutions that remove the barriers to voting.